Saturday, February 11, 2012

My Favorite Things (and my Crunchy Calamari with Lemon Aioli Dip)

People think I'm complicated. And that I'm as scary-fickle as the weather in the gloomy global warming era.

The truth is I am really simple (and no, am not saying this to convince myself as well). I get happy over really little things. And I am one of those annoying people who easily attach the word "love" to every thing that brings even a small grin to my face or stimulates even the minutest happy hormone in my brain. I've always said that the simplest things make me happy - and it's not my fault that I find a lot of simple things around me.

So if someone were to ask me for my favorite things, the list will tend to be quite lengthy and detailed. Especially when it comes to food. But for the sake of brevity (and in the spirit of simplicity - another word that needs a redefinition in my books, along with comfort food) I list the best food in the world for me. If there are things that I can eat every day it would be these:

1. Dark Chocolate. Just imagine a world without chocolate (actually I can't).

2. Pasta. Spaghetti, linguine, macaroni, farfalle, capellini...Dress it up with some fancy sauce or just eat it warm with the barest of spices and oil and it's still good. Like curl-up-in-a-cozy-armchair-with-a-blanket-over-your-lap good.

3. Fried Chicken. I've always thought I might have been a black person in a past life. I just love me some good, crispy, homecooked fried chicken. The kind that does make you lick your fingers long after you've dropped the clean bones on your plate.

4. Sashimi. Fresh slices of salmon or tuna dipped in soy sauce and wasabi. Chased by a sip of warm sake. Instant Zen.

5. Curried dish. Beef, chicken, fish or pork. Coconut and spices married in a flavorful stew. Have a bowl of rice ready.

6. Cheese. Just like dark chocolate, I can never imagine a world without cheese. When I found out that I became (almost!) allergic to cheese, it was like being told that I have to lose a limb.

7. Wine. I can go for a day without it. But then again, why?

-------------------------
Crunchy Calamari with Lemon Aioli Dip

Calamari is not my favorite preparation for squid - I'd go for something saucy like Adobo, or Calamari en su Tinta (Squid in its own Ink). But one must make do with what one has in the pantry - or in my case the lack of the essential squid ink made me reach for something handy, like Panko crumbs.
Good thing with calamari though is you can go crazy with the sauce. I made an aioli dip but you can also serve this with a tomato-based dip, soy sauce and vinegar, peanut chili or even a brown gravy. Play with it!


Ingredients:
6 pieces squid, cleaned and cut into rings
salt and pepper
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup flour mixed with parsley, garlic powder and cayenne pepper
1 cup Panko crumbs
2 cups frying oil (vegetable or peanut)

For the Spicy Lemon Aioli Dip
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt and Pepper
1/2 tsp Sriracha Hot Sauce
1 tsp honey
1 tsp lemon juice
Mix all the ingredients together. Adjust seasonings according to preference.

Heat up your oil in a frying pan (or you can also use a deep fryer).
Prepare your dipping bowls in order - flour, egg and Panko crumbs.
Pat your squid dry and separate the rings before starting the dipping process.
Drop the squid rings into the flour and coat well. Then drop them into the egg mixture and finally into the Panko crumbs.
Fry the squid rings until golden brown. Serve with a wedge of lemon and the aioli dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment