Sunday, April 29, 2012

My Method of Madness (or how I made Braised Pineapple Shortribs with this and that)

I like how the Italians say it - l'arte d'arrangiarsi. The art of making something out of nothing. Making a feast out of the simplest of ingredients and the most meager of pantries. Well actually I can't say I have a meager pantry because my mother (God bless her!) had somehow instilled in us her children what she called the consciousness to have food in the fridge, the cupboards and the table all the time (or what I think is a post WWII syndrome of being scared to not have anything to eat). As for me the motivation is not fear but the thought of having to put on layers of clothes just to go to the store and pick up one lousy loaf of bread or a tray of eggs. So yes I try to make it a point to always have something I can pull out and make a meal or a snack with. And because I'm a spice girl (no, not the 90s Brit-chick band but I won't mind having their royalties right now) I also have an array of stuff that I use to jazz up what is otherwise an ordinary meal. I mean why settle for plain scrambled eggs when you can have a frittata with cilantro and parsley?

And I think that basically sums up my kitchen playtime. It's like playing scientist (but with far less dangerous substances) - first I come up with an idea for a dish I want to make or eat. Then I survey what I have on hand (and more importantly, also assess the extent of the damage after, as in "is it worth it to have to wash and scrub pots and dishes after?"). Then when I can finally say "eh, what the heck" then it's time to have fun. I fire up the stove (or the oven), lay out and prepare my ingredients and go from there. I'd look at my row of spice soldiers and pick out those that to my mind would work well together (and this is not borne out of guessing but from actually knowing how each spice tastes like). And while I prefer to make dishes that will be done in less than 30 minutes (again, NOT Rachel Ray-inspired here!) or where I can just let it cook on its own, 90% of the time I check back and adjust, adjust and adjust some more. It's partly being OC, partly crazy thinking I can still push the envelope with a dash of this and a sprinkling of that, and partly just because I can (still my favorite reason of all). Usually I get it right anyway. Or so my eyes, my nose and my tastebuds tell me (and on occasions where I can have people taste and judge for themselves).

So is there a lesson somewhere in this? Well, not really. I have friends who say that they see my passion in cooking. Or a talent for it.
I'd rather think it's a talent for pursuing what makes you happy.
-----------------------------------
(Inspired by a friend's Orange Beef Ribs, I made this Braised Pineapple Boneless Pork Shortribs. I don't have an exact recipe but I remember what I threw in the pot to come up with this - and yes it is a bit of this and that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment